Open University of Israel
Open Software Engineering Research
The XRC Plugin
About XRC Plugin
Large and medium scale software projects often require a source code
revision control (RC) system. Unfortunately, RC systems do not perform
well with obliviousness and quantification found in aspect-oriented
code. When classes are oblivious to aspects, so is the RC system,
and the crosscutting effect of aspects is not tracked. In this work,
we study this problem in the context of using AspectJ (a standard AOP
language) with Subversion (a standard RC system). We describe scenarios
where the crosscutting effect of aspects combined with the concurrent
changes that RC supports can lead to inconsistent states of the code.
The work contributes a mechanism that checks-in with the source code
versions of crosscutting metadata for tracking the effect of aspects.
Another contribution of this work is the implementation of a supporting
Eclipse plug-in (named XRC) that extends the JDT, AJDT, and SVN
plug-ins for Eclipse to provide crosscutting revision control (XRC)
for aspect-oriented programming. The XRC plug-in persists, compares
and displays Crosscutting Metadata (XMD). More details can be found in
- User Guide and Developer Guide, can be found in the thesis appendixes. Each contains installation procedures and explanations, for using the XRC plug-in and for XRC development, respectively.
- XRC Installation Kit, ver 3.7, updated in 17/7/2012 [download].
This is the full XRC Installation Kit. It comprises the Standalone Installation, the Embedded installation, and the SVN Repository. It is recommended to download only the required part, below.
- Standalone Installation, ver 3.7, updated in 17/7/2012 [download].
Contains Eclipse with the XRC plug-in, as well as AJDT and SVN plug-ins.
- Embedded Installation, ver 3.7, updated in 17/7/2012 [download].
Contains the required files for XRC plug-in installation within an already installed Eclipse IDE.
- SVN Repository, ver 3.7, updated in 17/7/2012 [download]
The SVN Repository contains the XRC Source Code, a Test Suite and the Bank Application examples updated at the release time
- SVN Repository URI for the continuous development is svn://trac.cslab.openu.ac.il/svn/xrc/sagithesis.
This is the source code location for the current development.
- Thesis [link]
- The main XRC paper, appeared in ICSE'12 [pdf]
- The presentation of the XRC in ICSE'12 [talk]
Note: I am waiting for SVN path from Rafi, than the path should be updated accordingly.